Jackson Township, named after Andrew Jackson, is a township in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township population was 54,856. The population increased by 12,040 (+28.1%) from the 42,816 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 9,583 (+28.8%) from the 33,233 counted in the 1990 Census. The 2010 population was the highest recorded in any decennial census. A portion of the township is located within the New Jersey Pine Barrens. Jackson Township was incorporated as a township by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 6, 1844, from portions of Dover Township (now Toms River Township), Freehold Township and Upper Freehold Township, while the area was still part of Monmouth County. It became part of the newly created Ocean County on February 15, 1850. Portions of the township were taken to form Plumsted Township on March 11, 1845.